Based in a 25 acre woodland in Fife, we run a pioneering childcare service, entirely out of doors all year round. Established since 2008 we also offer practitioner workshops where we share our unique and highly acclaimed philosophy with people from all over the world.
*** Children`s spaces available**
- Available from January 2024: 1.5 day space (Thursday/Friday) in the Buttercups
- We are likely to have spaces available from Easter 2024
*** Important dates for your diary***
- Last day of term in 2023: 20th December 2023
- Nursery Winter closure: Thursday 21 December 2023 – Wednesday 3 January 2024 inclusive.
- First day of term 2024: 4th January 2024
- Staff training day (no children at nursery): Wednesday 14 February 2024.
- Visitors session for professionals: 21st Febuary 2024
- In The Woods workshop: 20th March 2024
- Last day of 2023-2024 year: 26th July 2024
- Nursery summer closure (includes 1 wek staff training): Monday 29 July 2024 – Friday 16 August 2024 inclusive.
- First day of 2024/2025 year: Monday 19th August 2024
- In The Woods workshop: 11th September 2024
- Visitors session for professionals: 17th October 2024
We had an unannounced Care Inspectorate inspection during May 2023. The inspector looked at the following quality statement indicators and gave the following grades:
- How good is our care, play and learning? 5 Very Good
- How good is our setting? 5 Very Good
- How good is our leadership? 5 Very Good
- How good is our staff team? 5 Very Good
In a previous inspection during December 2022, we received a grade 3 (adequate) due to the Care Inspectorate having an increased focus on hand washing since the COVID pandemic. We quickly put their recommendations into place and we were signed off shortly afterwards as meeting the requirement.
Prior to this we were visited in July 2021. The inspector looked at the following quality statement indicator and gave the grade below;
- Quality of care during the COVID-19 pandemic 5 Very Good
“The rosy cheeks and wonderful energy our son comes home with following a day in the woods is just the best. Adventure and wonder radiate out of him! He gains so much from his experiences in the woods, with the support of a wonderful team of attuned, nurturing and insightful staff. Our experience of Secret Garden has been a beautiful one and we are so thankful for all that you do!”
Hannah Bunce – Parent
“Rory loves the secret garden. The staff are excellent and help the children explore the forest and make the most of being outdoors. Rory seems to like it even better when it’s raining – which is nice to see as a parent because your first instinct is to bring them inside! If I could we would send him for the whole week! I thoroughly recommend sending your children here!”
Ben Milnes – Parent
“On his first day he went up the hill a shy toddler and came down the hill a little boy. He had grown an inch and looked like he owned the world”
Tansy Torkington – Parent